I spend MAX $40 a week on groceries for a family of four. How do I do it you ask?
- Stopped shopping at major chain groceries (walmart, kroger, etc) except for monthly essentials…cleaning supplies, etc that small grocery doesn’t carry.
- Save A Lot is my friend, I love this store, their meat is local and fresh, also cheap.The store is also a local chain.
- Buy family packs of meat, split it into multiple meals
- Shop weekly and ONLY buy what you need for the week (this will make your fridge look bare and that’s okay, happiness is not determined by how full your fridge is if you have enough food for every meal.) We do not have waste and leftovers that I have to clean out before I go to the grocery to make room. We run out of milk, eggs, butter and cheese on Wednesday nights because I buy more on Thursdays.
- I do not buy junk food for the kids to snack on (chips, cookies, etc) a bag of chips in gone in a day. Instead I buy bulk popcorn, fruit, crackers, sandwich stuff and cereal.
- We eat out MAX one day a week, on Thursdays usually after work and grocery shopping I do not feel like cooking.
- We use local farmers markets during the summer for produce and eggs.
Example of meals we are going to have this coming week so that you can see saving money doesn’t mean cutting out good food…
- Eat Out
- Pork steaks, mashed potatoes, fresh snow peas
- Hamburger Helper
- Saturday Breakfast (cereal, pancakes, or waffles)
- Sunday Breakfast (omelets, sausage, bacon, grits)
- Smoked Sausage Potato Cheddar bake (Super delicious, will be happy to share recipes)
- Steak, loaded baked potatoes, salads
- Baked Ziti
- Chicken Broccoli Cheese Bake